Friday, February 24, 2012

Hot Toddy

Hello friends! I've been fighting a head cold since Tuesday night and I've decided that I needed a hot toddy (or two). I'll go back and see where I left off with workout posts so I can update that too, but this week has been a bit light due to how I've felt. I'll discuss working out when sick in that post. Now, before we get on to the good stuff, here's my disclaimer. This is my idea of a calm the sniffles/soothe a sore throat drink. Don't have alcohol if you are REALLY sick. It will dehydrate you, not cure you. Last night I felt awful so I avoided it then. After sleeping 11 hours last night and a 3 hour nap today, I feel a lot better. Now I just want some symptom relief.

I knew a hot toddy was hot water and bourbon or whiskey. The rest really seems to vary depending on who you ask. I looked at a few recipes and put together what I felt like I needed. I know a post with no pictures is pretty boring, but it just wasn't happening today.

Hot Toddy


2 oz whiskey or bourbon (I used Bulleit Rye whiskey because that's what we had)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3-4 dashes of cinnamon (dashes/shakes from the shaker)
2 dashes of cloves
1 dash allspice
honey to taste
boiling water

Put all ingredients in a coffee mug up through the honey. Boil water and fill the mug. It's really up to you how much honey and water you want to add. Enjoy!

* after making this I realized that steeping a smashed up piece of ginger root or a few pieces of candied ginger would be even better. I'd say just go for it if it sounds good to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment