Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Classic Rock playlist

I've been listening to classic rock quite a bit on my way to and from work. Specifically, 105.7 and 100.7, for those of you in the Boston area. My elation at the luck of Whipping Post coming on while I was driving home tonight reminded me that I have been wanting to start posting some of my "themed" playlists (and also reminded me that car-karaoke does not supersede being an attentive driver). In no particular order:

Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
I usually like to listen to this when I'm starting a treadmill run, especially a one-pace longish one. ESPECIALLY one of those ones where I set the treadmill to my goal pace and see how far I can get towards a 5K before I die start crying can't take the pain. 



The Allman Brothers - Whipping Post
A new-ish addition to the list, but one of my all-time favorite songs.



Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
(NSFW if you are unaware that this song says "SOB" about a million times) Sometimes I cheat and listen to the Guns N Roses cover of this, because it's a bit angrier and, well, why else would you be listening to this song? Plus, this song on its own justifies owning The Spaghetti Incident.



Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Some day I'm going to accidentally sing out loud at the gym. You totally know what part...

"OH AH AHHHHHHHHHHHH AH!"



Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
This is just another song I love and can zone out to. One of my favorite parts of this song, is around 3:03 where the female vocalist's (Merry Clayton) voice cracks and a second later, you can hear Mick Jagger shout, "WOO!" in response.



Journey - Separate Ways
Because, how can you resist? What? It's from the 80's (1983 to be exact) and isn't classic rock? Well, my friends, our parents music was new at one point too. I can't believe this song is almost 30 years old, but when I heard a song from the same year on our local oldies channel, I put a trip to Sephora at the top of my to-do list for some anti-aging cream. Since I love mullets you, here's the actual music video.



The Temptations - Can't Get Next to You
I admit this is more Oldies than Classic Rock, but I don't have an Oldies running playlist and it fits with the vibe of this list anymore. I like to listen to this and pretend that I'm a total bad a-- speedster.



There are a few more song I thought about adding, but these are the ones I listen to most. Often, I end up getting to one and repeating it for most of the workout. If you're lucky, my next playlist will be 80s/90s and include songs from the Top Gun soundtrack. Be afraid. Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment