Monday, April 23, 2012

And now the food plan...

Today was my first personal training day in over a week. I usually see her two times a week, but Saturday's session was cancelled. That was fine since I was desperate to sleep in! Then I woke up at 7am and couldn't fall asleep again. Ugh.

I figured my weight would be at least where it had been, but maybe a bit lower. I stepped on the scale and it said:

"158!...LOL!" (I swear it was taunting me)

Sonofa....

So we had what one of my friends calls a "Come to Jesus" moment. Haha. Mostly from my prompting. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I'll make an okay choice, but not a great one. All of these little not great choices add up. For example, I know that I do not need to eat anything with added sugar. Plain yogurt? Good! Those delicious flavored Chobani yogurts? Good for a treat, but I know I can't have them every day. Some people can, but I know that at this point I don't have a lot of leeway with my choices. It's something I have to accept. I just don't need a lot of calories to keep me going. Of the calories I do need, they need to be really nutritious choices. I don't really even feel hungry that much. I just love food! So I eat.

We talked about how special occasions and events (hello, baseball games) can really derail me, because I get this attitude of, "oh, it's just today. I'll make up for it tomorrow." Except not. It never happens. I never make up for it. So here's the plan:

- I signed up for My Fitness Pal. It's similar to Livestrong, which I had been using, but this is easier for my trainer to check in on me. I like that you can have up to 6 times that you eat and label them as you want. Some days I have two mini breakfasts due to workouts and then also maybe a snack after lunch or dinner. It will also track sugar and sodium if you want, which I really like to do.

- Since it seems to be my days off that are a problem, I only have to track those days. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I kind of want to track all of them, but I'm going to go with what she says! My work day meals are really good. All we're doing now is breaking them up into smaller meals so that I have something on the way into work and then the rest of breakfast 2 hours later on my break. I'd normally end up eating 3 hours after I got up. Then, later, a smaller lunch and dinner with a snack in between the two. I probably won't need a snack after dinner on work nights since I don't eat until 7 and try to be in bed by 10.

- Two cheat meals a month. That means a birthday meal, holiday dinner, something at a baseball game, etc. It does not mean an all day free for all!

I feel good about it. You could say, cautiously excited about it. I want to be in good shape for my races. I can't talk about all these crazy workouts I do and not live up on the nutrition end. It makes me feel kind of phony. I needed to have some sort of plan and accountability and now I do. Weigh ins will be at whatever training session I have at the end of the week. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment