Saturday, September 10, 2011

Injury workout week

Well, I started this week majorly bummed. I couldn't walk without pain, never mind work out or run. I texted my trainer on Monday to let her know and when we met on Wednesday, we revised my plan.

Monday I was supposed to do strength on my own while in Maine. I did what I could, but a lot of what I had been assigned put too much pressure on my sore left foot.

Tuesday was supposed to be an easy run, but I knew a 13 hour day on my feet at work would be more than I could deal with without running after. I was right and we both agreed ahead of time that I would go home, ice and rest.

Wednesday I saw her for strength and she assigned me some work on the stationary bike and elliptical. After our session, I did 5 min hard, 5 min easy for a total of 60 minutes on the bike.

Thursday after work, I spent 30 minutes looking for a blasted parking space and went to do 40 on the bike, 1 minute sprint, 1 minutes rest. At this point my butt was KILLING me. Not a fan of the bike...

Friday was another session with my trainer and 60 minutes on the elliptical. I had to set the resistance to 15 and the incline to whatever my foot could tolerate. Honestly, it sucked. 15 at a 1 incline made my left calf tingle, but I worked through it. I had been feeling better being on it as the week went on.

Today I worked again and only felt pain sporadically. Today it was more tightness making my foot ache than the minor injury I suffered last weekend. I was supposed to do a hill program on the bike, but I realized at about 5pm that it was Saturday and the gym closes at 8. I work until 7 and would have exactly 15 minutes to work out once I got there IF I found a parking space right away. I texted trainer and offered to try and easy run, but she suggested against it since I was on  my feel all day.

Tomorrow I am getting up early to do my first run in 8 days. I'm doing 3 easy miles around a track to see how I feel. I almost wrote "I have to do", but I don't. I WANT to. As much as I complain about not wanting to go out some days, I can't take it when I'm forced to the sidelines. Tomorrow is a sad, sad anniversary for our country and I am profoundly grateful that I have back what I need to help cope. I plan to finish early enough to finally watch some of the coverage that I have been avoiding on tv for the last week. It still hurts so much to watch, even for someone who didn't personally know a single person who was lost. If it's not the only one, there are very few days that I recall with such an amazing clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment